We are currently finalizing the payout schedule for CUPW-represented employees who are entitled to retroactive pay following Arbitrator Elizabeth MacPherson’s final decision on June 11, 2020. The decision included wage increases for 2018, 2019 and 2020 year-to-date for CUPW-represented employees and will be paid out retroactively.
We are working to implement these changes as quickly as possible, however it will take some time to calculate what each employee is owed and to process these retroactive wage increases. Here’s why:
- To ensure that every employee receives what they are entitled to, the company is reviewing millions of pay records for more than 50,000 employees dating back more than two and a half years. This is a complex and partly manual exercise that takes a significant amount of time.
- The retroactive payments will be paid out to employees over five separate pay periods. The significant number of pay changes, if processed all at once, could cause a surge and undermine our computer systems, affecting pay and possibly other parts of our operations.
- Within each of the five pay periods, we will pay out the maximum number of employees possible without risking a system failure or operational disruption.
We are working diligently to ensure each employee receives an accurate assessment. The plan is to begin payments in August and implement all changes in stages over five pay periods:
- August 6, 2020: Retroactive pay for 2020 (Urban), plus the Rest Period Allowance for 2020 (Urban and RSMC)
- August 20, 2020: Retroactive pay for 2020 (RSMC)
- September 3, 2020: Retroactive pay for 2019 (Urban), plus the Rest Period Allowance for 2019 (Urban, RSMC)
- September 17, 2020: Retroactive pay for 2018-2019 (RSMC), plus the Rest Period Allowance for 2018 (Urban, RSMC)
- October 1, 2020: Retroactive pay for 2018 (Urban)
This schedule has been shared with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW).
If you have questions, please contact AccessHR at 1-877-807-9090.