The Employee and Family Assistance Program, provided by Homewood Health, gives you and your family members access to a range of confidential programs and services that support mental and physical wellness at home and at work. There is no cost to access the services.
The following Homewood resources are available to help you and your family live healthier lives and deal with whatever comes along that might affect your mental health and well-being:
Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Online resources to support your mental and physical health
- Counselling available 24/7 to help with life’s challenges
- Immediate crisis support is available anytime. Call 1-866-565-4903.
Counselling services can help you take practical steps to improve your well-being.
You and your family have 24/7 access to confidential counselling (in person, by telephone or online) for issues such as:
- Work-related issues
- Life transitions/change
- Traumatic events
- Other personal issues
Online behavioural therapy (for depression and/or anxiety)
A bilingual, web-based tool to treat people struggling with mild depression and/or anxiety. The program guides individuals through exercises that will help them identify, challenge and overcome anxious and/or depressive thoughts, behaviours and emotions.
Life Smart coaching
You can receive coaching support over the phone for a variety of life-balance and health matters, or get expert help to manage your career.
Life Smart services are available by phone for issues such as:
- Supports parents in one of life’s most challenging roles.
- Designed to empower new parents with knowledge and skills.
- Providing support for employees caring for aging parents or loved ones.
- Supporting those looking to improve their relationship.
- Helping employees and families manage personal finances.
- One-on-one consultation with an expert over the phone.
- Sound advice on legal matters.
- One-on-one advice/consultation with an expert over the phone.
- Consultation on a broad range of criminal and civil issues.
- Referrals can be made to an attorney, and client may qualify for preferential savings of up to 25%.
- Grieving can be overwhelming and complex. This self-directed resource can help with issues such as recently losing a loved one, job loss, or the end of a relationship.
- Learn healthy eating habits to improve weight, energy, and resistance to disease.
- One-on-one nutritional advice provided by phone from registered dieticians.
- A program to help you develop new habits that improve well-being. Includes telephone coaching with a weight-loss and behaviour-change consultant.
- Addresses all facets of smoking, including physical and psychological dependence, and foundations of successful behaviour change.
- Helps you identify and articulate skills, aptitudes, values, personality traits and interests related to your career.
- A specialist will work with you to assess your psychological, emotional and financial needs as you approach retirement.
- Helps shift workers with issues such as sleeping, nutrition and family dynamics.
Online resources (Homeweb.ca)
Homewood Health offers extensive online information on a variety of topics. Some resources are available to all users while others may be tailored to team leaders/managers. Materials include:
- Better manage personal health and expand work-related skill sets.
- Focus on health and wellness, life skills, and work-related people management skills.
- Online health risk assessment
- Comprehensive health library
- Video orientation of your EFAP services on Homeweb.ca
Articles on several topics, such as:
- Managing your smoking
- Managing alcohol use
- Handling stress
- Improving your physical fitness
- Anger management
- Improving sleep
- Managing your moods
- Effective parenting
- Managing your money
- Death of a loved one
- Resolving conflict in intimate relationships
- Thinking optimistically
- Managing job loss
- Preparing for retirement
- Embracing workplace change
- Respect in the workplace
- Managing sensitive employee issues
- Effective supervision
- Leading the human side of change
- Values-based leadership
- Managing your career
Team leader site
When you register for Homeweb.ca and are a team leader, you will have access to a range of online tools and information specifically tailored to team leaders at Canada Post. This includes:
- Quarterly topics specific to Canada Post leaders
- A downloadable kit for each topic
- Leadership training materials
- Tips for better mental health
- How-to guides
- And much more…
Key person resources (for managers, supervisors and union representatives)
Key Person Advice Line
When you need help with a situation in the workplace, the Key Person Advice Line (KPAL) gives you immediate, anytime access to a Homewood mental health professional. It’s available 24/7, is fully bilingual and strictly confidential.
It can help you in situations such as:
- An agitated employee showing signs of high stress
- Workplace/employee conflict
- Employee has undergone a traumatic experience, either at work or personally
- Someone close to your employee is very sick or has passed away
- An employee is going through a big life change such as divorce or separation
- Your employee is showing signs of depression, or is withdrawn or agitated
- Consultations by senior clinicians (doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, etc.) with extensive experience
- 24/7 access
- Toll-free (1-866-565-4903)
Crisis management support
- Assists team leaders following a workplace incident
- Certified responder available 24/7
- Immediate coaching by a senior professional
- Responders can be quickly dispatched onsite
- Follow-up incident report
- Post-incident counselling for individuals
- Available for team leaders anytime by calling 1-866-565-4903
Wellness sessions for team leaders and HRBPs
There are several one-hour wellness sessions available to support employees via webinars or face-to-face meetings. For face-to-face sessions, a minimum of 10 people are required to a maximum of 35. Webinars can accommodate higher numbers.
Team leaders should contact their local HRBP to book. Please allow four weeks’ notice when registering for one of these sessions.
Communication and professionalism
- Building working relationships
- Improving workplace communication
- Professionalism in the workplace
- Communicating despite negative behaviour*
Conflict, harassment and workplace violence
- Conflict resolution in the workplace*
Healthy living and self-improvement
- Healthy sleep habits
- Getting and staying active
- Office ergonomics*
- The journey to wellness
- The science of happiness
- Working safely: manual material handling*
Mental health and addiction
- Addictions at work: alcohol, drugs and gaming*
- Smoking cessation*
- Understanding mental health in the workplace
- Building emotional intelligence*
- Understanding anxiety and depression*
- Understanding grief and loss*
Nutritional wellness sessions
- Healthy eating habits*
- Healthy eating on the go*
- Healthy workplace habits*
- Supermarket shopping tips*
- Understanding labels*
- Fundamentals of change and transition
- Negotiating respectful interpersonal boundaries
- Creating a culture of inclusion*
- Respectful relationships in the workplace
- Emotional effects of retirement
Stress and resiliency
- Building resilience
- Reducing the effects of stress
- Stress busters
- The art of relaxation
- Establishing work/life harmony
- Foundations of positive parenting
- Helping children cope with separation and divorce*
- Helping your child succeed at school
- Making shiftwork work for you
- Managing money*
- Managing your time and energy
- Supporting the caregiver*
Check out this catalogue of wellness sessions.
* Indicates course created specifically as webinars, but can also be face-to-face sessions
Mental health training for team leaders and managers
- Digital and in-class core training on mental health and wellness
Workplace intervention services
Homewood specialists are available to provide independent facilitation and respond to immediate issues to help resolve challenges in the workplace. These intervention services can be requested by team leaders to help employees at all levels build new skills and perspectives, and improve resilience in the workplace.
Homewood professionals can help with issues such as:
- Interpersonal and group conflict
- Bullying and other disrespectful behaviour
- Sensitive issues related to diversity/human rights
- Violence in the workplace
- An unproductive work culture
- Absenteeism and showing up at work when ill or injured
- Problematic team performance
- Changing work practices, change fatigue
- Psychological health risks
- Difficult organizational change